Analyze. Cleanse. Exfoliate. Moisturize. Sunscreen.
Analyze your skin
• When the season gets colder, you will notice changes in your skin as well. Oily skin may become more normal, or those normal skin types might feel their skin is suddenly drying out. If you aren’t sure whether your skin needs a new regime, consult a skin care specialist at a local day spa who can analyze your skin on the spot or talk to a consultant at a cosmetics counter.
• Consider your facial cleansing routine. If you have been using a gel or foaming cleanser over the summer because it feels squeaky clean, these same cleansers may irritate your skin during the colder months. You may want to opt for a milkier cleanser. • Reassess your body cleanser. If you notice your skin is dry and flaky, try a creamy body wash or gentle, soap-free product that is hydrating as well.
• Exfoliation is key in the dryer months and has so many benefits! Exfoliating once or twice a week effectively sloughs off dead skin cells to reveal the newer, smoother skin, lightens dark spots, allows your other beauty products penetrate more effectively, and helps retain moisture.• For your face, use exfoliating product that combines physical beads (to manually remove dead skin cells) and digestive enzymes like papain, derived from papaya, that digest and breakdown dead skin cells. This allows for less friction, thus a gentler exfoliation.
• You may also look for products that contain solutions such as AHA (alpha hydroxy acid such as glycolic and lactic acids) or BHA (beta hydroxy acid, also known as salicylic acid) products: AHAs are preferred for sun-damaged and dry skin because they have the added benefit of improving moisture content. BHA is preferred for oily, acne-prone skin and for treating blackheads and white bumps. Its oil-soluble qualities allow it to deeply penetrate the oil in the pores and exfoliate accumulated skin cells inside the oil glands that can clog pores.
• For your hands, I find oily based scrubs are perfect for fall and winter because you are getting the exfoliating benefits with the extra bonus of hydrating oils. For your body, look for scrubs that contain “polishing” ingredients, such as oatmeal, ground almonds, sugar and sea salt Another tip to remove dry skin this fall is to use an exfoliating loofah or glove while bathing.
Moisturize and hydrate
• I can’t stress this enough; if you want to keep dry skin at bay, you must hydrate your skin on a daily basis. The best time to apply your lotion to your body is right after you’ve dried off after bathing. Seal in the water that’s already being absorbed into your skin. Look for products containing goat milk and naturally occurring humectants such as Hyaluronic Acid (HA). Don’t forget to drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin and offset the lack of humidity in the air. Use humidifiers throughout the house or at least in the bedroom.
• Your hands are in and out of water and exposed to harsh weather so you need to moisturize them frequently. That’s why it’s so important to have hand cream with you at all times and remember to wear gloves outdoors in the winter.
• Your face is the most exposed part of your body and demands extra attention in dryer, colder months. You many need to over-treat your skin with thicker creams instead of lotions to will provide stronger barriers against the harsh environment and apply a night repair cream. Consult a skin care specialist to find the products that will work best for you.
Protect your lips
• Start moisturizing your lips early to prevent cracked & chapped lips this winter. I suggest using a non-petroleum based lip balm as it has been found that petroleum based products can have a drying effect on your lips.
• Just because you may not be lying on the beach doesn’t mean you can forget the sunscreen for the next 6 months. The sun’s harmful rays continue to penetrate all year round, making sunscreen a daily essential. Using a full spectrum SPF 30 year round is a must!
Adzuki Bean (whole, raw bean: ground) – Ground adzuki bean has been used in Japanese skin care regimes for centuries. Geishas treasured it, as their secret for smooth, soft skin, helping them to achieve a flawless complexion. Adzuki is a very gentle, yet effective exfoliant. It deep cleanses without dehydrating or abrading, leaving the skin firm and smooth.
Geranium has great value in skin care and can be used on any type of skin. Properties for skin include: analgesic, anti-irritant, antimicrobial, potent antioxidant, antiseptic, astringent, balancing, cell-regenerating, rejuvenating and warming. Having a minty-fruity floral top-middle note with rosy undertones, geranium oil is one of the most feminine fragrances of the essential oils. Its properties for the mind include: balancing, calming, cooling, refreshing, relaxing, soothing and uplifting. It promotes feelings of happiness and peace, and eases anxiety, depression, panic, stress and tension.
Goat milk is jam packed with nutrients and natural moisturizers that benefit the skin. Its benefit can particularly benefit people with sensitive skin or those suffering from skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. It is easily absorbed into the skin, bringing with it moisture and restorative proteins, minerals and vitamins. Goat’s milk also contains over 50 nutrients and naturally occurring Alpha-Hydroxy acid (AHA) to exfoliate skin.
Cranberry Seed (whole, raw seed: ground) Ground cranberry seeds possess impressive amounts of antioxidant phenols which are beneficial for all skin types. This high antioxidant content is responsible for cranberry’s anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.
Cranberry is also said to offer anti-bacterial properties that are beneficial for oily and acne-prone skin types. The cranberry seed is high in potent enzymes, which dissolve dead cells and remove sebum from the skin’s surface. Cranberry is commonly used in skin care to: exfoliate, tone, soften, smooth, brighten dull skin and treat acne conditions. It’s important to remove expired skin to promote healthy new skin. But it’s important to do this without being harsh. Our scrub gently exfoliates, cleanses, detoxifies and regenerates skin cells. Enjoy once daily or weekly.
We take great pride in offering only the highest quality organic and nature inspired products, to ensure that you receive the best possible results.